self-drafted a collar + updated a shirt

Found this old shirt that I’m 99.9% sure my grandma in Taiwan made for me years ago. I actually really like the fabric now and could see myself wearing this. I wanted to fix the collar and armhole hems though, so that’s what I did. I unpicked the armhole binding and hemmed it. I also undid the old mandarin style collar and replaced it with my own self-drafted one. I was a bit apprehensive at first about drafting my own collar; the only other time I’ve done it was in FSAD 1450 and I was able to use a sloper then. I searched up how to self-draft a collar and found a website that said something similar to what I had learned in class. I followed that as best as I could and just went with it. This was one of those projects where I had to stop overthinking everything and dive into it before I could back out. Took a lot of initial motivation, but once I got started, it was pretty fun. I wanted to match the navy blue placket, but I didn’t have a similar fabric so I made the collar out of navy corduroy scraps instead. At least that meant I didn’t have to use interfacing. All in all, I’d have to say it turned out really well. The part where the collar meets the placket is a little funky, but I can massage it with my hand to make it lie “right”.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s